I have reread this book many times. It was a beloved book from my childhood and it hasn't lost a thing now that I am 55. Beautifully written. lush in description, perfect depictions of all the characters, sensitive and emotional. I love this book.
My friend, Flicka is the story of a 10 year old boy's coming of age summer when he gets his own colt, Flicka. It is also the story of ranching in Wyoming in the 1930s, and the story of the marriage between Nell and Rob McLaughlin. It is really wonderfully told and nuanced tale, very poignant and sweet.
I listened to this on cds from the library. It took me a while to get used to the narrator's voice. I didn't initially care for how he made Rob sound. And Ken sounded a little too effeminate to me. But he did pretty good Swedish and Irish accents and sometimes he had to switch back and forth in the same conversation. And after awhile I didn't even notice the voices, I was so caught up in the story even though I've read it many times before.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone. It would make a great read aloud or audio for a long car ride as well.
I don't know why this isn't a more prominent classic. It really is a well crafted and moving story with a lot of depth.
Two thumbs up! For More book reviews go to Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment