Sunday, February 3, 2013

Be Different - Book 4

The full title of this book is Be Different; My Adventures with Asperger's and My Advice for Fellow Aspergians, Misfits, Families and Teachers. John Elder Robison didn't find out he had Asperger's until he was forty. The diagnosis made everything fall into place though, in terms of understanding his own childhood and the problems he had always had when it came to relating and communicating with other people. But in spite of this disability which caused him to drop out of high school in 10th grade, he went on to a successful career in sound electronics and special effects as well as eventually owning and running an auto repair garage that catered to the nicer, high end cars.

This is the follow up book to Robison's New York Times bestseller, Look Me in the Eye. I am curious now to read this first book. His brother, Augusten Burroughs, wrote another bestseller called Running With Scissors, which sounds absolutely dreadful. Apparently, Robison made out much, much better than his poor younger brother. Robison, being older, was able to get out on his own before his mother's mental illness took over.

While I found this book interesting and a quick read, the author is awfully proud of himself and his success. He does seem a tad self-absorbed. Though I understand his pride, because it must have been a very difficult road for him. He also strikes me as beyond ordinary in terms of ability. So I don't know if he is typical of most people with Asperger's. Still it is a very interesting read and I do feel it gave insight into the mind of those with Asperger's Syndrome.

For more book reviews see 52 Books in 52 Weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like interesting reading. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read his first one and found it extremely interesting. Funny how we end up gravitating towards the same books.

    ReplyDelete