Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome is a classic British comedy, very P.G. Wodehouse in style. Set in the late 1800's, it is the comical story of J. and his friends Harris and George who decide they need a vacation. So they go boating on the Thames. J. has his boisterous dog along too. J. is very Bertie Wooster like in his take on the world which makes for many silly situations. Lots of laugh out loud moments. The book is also a bit of a travelogue as the characters boat from town to town from London to Oxford (I think that was the final town). I don't have much of a familiarity with boating terms but I got to know what sculls and weirs were among other terms.
A very enjoyable and light read. Since I am dealing with a hurting back and this dreadful election period, it was nice to read something so humorous and diverting.
Two thumbs up! For more book reviews go to 52 Books.
BTW, I read this for free on my Kindle!
No comments:
Post a Comment