Gosh, I had a hard time getting into a book this week. I started two books that I had waiting in my 'to be read' pile, got about 1/4 the way through them and lost interest, much to my own surprise. I'm also listening to a really interesting book on audio whenever I'm out running errands. So I didn't think I'd have a book for this week for my 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge. However, I read Dana's post from last week on How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm by Mei-Ling Hopgood, and it sounded intriguing so I got it on my Kindle. It was a quick read, only took two days, but it is a highly enjoyable glimpse into the parenting practices of different parts of the world.
Mei-Ling Hopgood is an American journalist, adopted from Taiwan, who currently lives with her husband in Beunos Aires. She's also a new mom. Noticing the differences in the way the Argentines raise their children (from her own American upbringing) got her thinking about parenting practices all over the world. She knows her birth parents and siblings so she is also familiar with Chinese culture. Her brothers were adopted from Korea, so she's also been exposed to that culture as well. Growing up in Michigan she knew lots of Lebanese and other Arab immigrants. Because of her job she has traveled all over the world. This book really seemed like a very natural extension of her own life and parenting experiences.
Since she's a reporter, she writes very well and interviews many experts on the different aspects of parenting. She starts with bedtimes because that's one of the first issues that made her think about how different cultures parent. In America we are very into bedtimes and giving kids structure. There is a definite division between child-time and adult-time. In Argentina, bedtimes are much more casual and children are accepted pretty much everywhere even late at night out at a restaurant or party. Yet, Hopgood notices, this doesn't seem to affect the kids adversely at all. In fact, this approach might have some benefits! Kids learn to be adaptable, they feel welcomed in this more kid-friendly environment, parents don't have to worry about sitters so much. The other chapters cover such things as potty training, dealing with kids fighting, schooling, kids working and yes, she even explains how Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm. I notice in one of the Amazon reviews of this book that someone complained the title was misleading, but no, it is very clearly right in book, how the Inuit carry their babies on their backs right next to their own body heat to keep them warm.
Hopgood takes one of these topics per chapter, explains the difference in parenting style on that particular issue for a particular culture and then turns to experts to explain why the practice evolved and how it is woven into that particular culture. It is really fascinating! Then Hopgood reflects upon her own parenting style and what she personally takes away from her study and how it applies to her and her husband's own parenting style.
Hopgood is a very career-oriented, modern woman. She seems to tackle, albeit in a loving way, parenthood like a new job. She's very thorough and very focused on success. Since, for most of the book, she's just talking about her only daughter who seems to be only 3 by the end of the book, she's awfully intense about things. I don't think she sees herself as a pushy parent, but I guess with my own more laid back style, she certainly seems a lot more driven than I ever was. Though I do remember the intensity of meeting all those milestones with my oldest child.
This was a very interesting, easy to read book. I recommend it. For more reviews see the link for 52 books above.
Sounds very interesting. I went to download it but it isn't available on Kindle in the UK :(.
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about reading this one! Thanks for the review.
ReplyDelete