Sunday, February 5, 2012

Meet the Austins - Book 8

The only Madeleine L'Engle books I was familiar with were the Wrinkle in Time series and some of her adult books. I've read a Circle of Quiet and maybe another book by her. But quite a while ago I impulse purchased Meet The Austins, I think after my sister recommended it. She had read it aloud to her son. Well, for some reason, after years of it sitting on our bookshelf, I finally picked it up and read it to Becky. We loved it!

I think the book is set in the 1950s. The Austins are a family that live in New England somewhere in an old rambling house out in the country. Their father is a doctor and their mother keeps house. The story is told from the perspective of Vicky the 12 yo. She's got an older brother named John and two younger siblings, Suzy and Rob. The family is a happy, well-adjusted one. Things get disrupted when Maggy, an orphan, comes to live with them. The book is about Maggy's first year with the family. It is a very sweet and touching book told really accurately from the 12 year old's perspective. It was nice to read a book set in more modern times where the family actually says prayers at night, goes to church and discusses God. It is a very comforting book. Apparently, it is part of a series and we hope to read more of the Austins adventures.

Another two thumbs up! Go to 52 Books for more book reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment